It is hard to believe we are already a full week into 2016. As typical, the first week has been slower than we are used to but I am sure it will pick up as we move further into the month and the cold weather sets in for the next few months. Lynda and I had a great time with our kids in New York during Christmas. We went to a musical, visited Rockefeller Center and had our picture made in front of the BIG tree. All exciting stuff but we are glad to be back in Macon and moving at a pace more our lifestyle.
We have scheduled our first town hall meetings of 2016 the week of January 24th. The times and dates should be posted in your departments. I look forward to introducing our new VP of Human Resources, Louise Truitt, and our new Chief Medical Officer, Todd Lang at those meetings. We will also be discussing your department stoplight reports and any other topics you wish to discuss. Please make every effort to attend one of these meetings.
Our next community event will be the Macon Chamber of Commerce “Business After Hours” to showcase our new Wound Care Center. We have most recently added Dr. Derrick Lane to the medical staff treating patients here at Northside. The word is out and the referrals are already picking up for this new service. Stop by and see the new HBO chambers and meet Tammie Murchison our Director.
Thanks to your caring, compassion and focus on our patients we finished the year in first place in the South Atlantic Division in both inpatient and ED patient experience. It also appears we will finish in the top quartile in the nation. Outstanding work by everyone here at CNH!
We are awaiting the date for a survey from the American College of Surgeons/Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program for our Bariatric Program. Our original accreditation, obtained shortly after the program began, is due for recertification in January/February 2016.
If you are celebrating your 3, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30th anniversary be on the lookout for your invitation to the annual service awards banquet. It is being held at the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame on February 4th. It’s time to party and celebrate your service to the patients of CNH and central Georgia.
Effective Jan. 1, 2016, Coliseum Northside increased the minimum wage to $10.50 per hour. CNH employees currently receiving less than $10.50 per hour will receive $10.50 per hour starting Jan. 1, 2016. The Georgia State minimum wage is $5.15 per hour and the federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. This change is consistent with the values of our organization and our commitment to fair compensation. The higher minimum wage recognizes the important role all employees play in helping take care of patients and providing services to our facility and community. This change is aligned with other HCA programs designed to benefit employees who meet financial eligibility requirements. Since 2004, the Employee Health Assistance Fund has provided zero-cost medical coverage to eligible employees. Since 2008, HCA has made an Employee Retirement Assistance Contribution to the HCA 401(k) Plan accounts of eligible employees. This information has already been communicated to those staff members affected by this change.
- This week we celebrated Mary Ann Chevalley’s retirement and service to Coliseum Northside since 1984. She will be missed but we wish her good health as she enjoys retirement.
- “Nurse Jill on the 3rd Floor was a very good nurse to me. She took great care of me on my first day after surgery. She seemed to really enjoy her work. She also was the only nurse to respond quickly if I pushed the call button, which I rarely did.” Patient – V.H.
- “April, Rasheedah, Jill, Leslie, Katie, Tom, Matt, Dr. Snow, Dr. Kelley & Dr. Cogent – Thank you all for showing love and concern for me.” Patient – R. H.
- “Tom Rogers, Lee, Josh, Elizabeth, Jill – Thanks for being a wonderful help during our stay. You were all so nice!” Patient – J. G.
- “Early Christmas Eve morning I had to take my daughter to the emergency room with what I thought was the flu, but ended up as severe strep/tonsillitis. She felt so very sick and I wanted to let you know that the care we received from the time we came in the door until we left was fantastic! Dr. Griffin, Crystal and LaToya were wonderful. A special thank you to Crystal – she is one of the best nurses I have ever seen, knew exactly how to tell Amanda how to lay her body and what to do to make the shot she needed less painful – she did not feel at thing – we were both so happy with what a fantastic job Crystal did and everyone else for that matter.” Employee – Kathy Armstrong
- Pre-Op Ward, Recovery Room & 3rd Floor Staff – I would like to thank everyone involved with my hip surgery on December 9th. You were all so kind to me and so helpful and made my stay as pleasant as it could be under the circumstances. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone, for which I was very thankful. I am no recovering well and I am walking unaided now and hope to be able to resume and take back my house in the not too distant future and get back to normal again. A thank you as well to Trey in pre-op and Kizzy for their card wishing me a speedy recovery. Thank y you again and I hope you all have a wonderful and healthy 2016.” Patient – C.F.
- Congratulations to the Bariatric Center Team. In 2015 we also became a Center of Blue Distinction for Bariatrics with Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Our surgeons are also listed on their “Find a Surgeon” website. (We are beginning to see those patients trickle in.) – Sarah Jackson
Here’s to a great 2016 for Coliseum Northside Hospital!!