I wish all of our Dads a Happy Father’s Day! My Dad passed away seven years ago, much like he lived, quietly, surrounded by his family. So now, on Father’s Day, I have no visit to make, no phone call and no gift to buy. I miss the physical presence of my Dad, but I carry the life lessons he taught me that often help in my decision making and approach to how I lead my life. I would give anything to have him back even for just a phone call for one more day. If your Dad is still around, I hope that you have the opportunity to share some valuable time with him, give him a hug and tell him what he means to you. I look forward to my call from Sean and Anna and the chance to tell them how lucky I am to be their Dad…not to mention, this will be my first Father’s Day as a grandfather. Can’t wait for the many “firsts” to follow!
As I have updated you before, there are many projects underway on campus. We are two weeks into the installation of our new boilers. These are part of our critical infrastructure that provide heat and steam to our building. Several other projects are either still in the planning phase or scheduled to kick off later this summer like the ED expansion, new generators, paving, nurse call replacement, specials lab and OR air handler. Randy, William and Ron are working hard to make sure we have necessary physical plant infrastructure to support patient care here at Northside.
The Cyber Café space is almost complete. We are awaiting computers, furniture and vending machines, but the physical space looks great. I look forward to the announcement of the name selected for this new space sometime next week!
Next week, the main hallway adjacent to the old gift shop space (now Cyber Café) will be transformed with local Macon landmark photographs like the Hay House, Mercer, Martha Bowman Church, and many more. My thanks to Wayne Thompson who photographed these sites for this project. I hope that you will enjoy this great connection to our community. We have the old artwork and some other items which we will be holding a silent auction for and the proceeds will go to the United Way.
MyHealthOne, our renamed patient portal, goes live June 22nd. Your Directors should be educating you on this change at your next department meeting and have materials for our patients. This portal allows them to access to their records, schedule appointments, sign up for classes/education and many more interactive features. Learn more here!
We continue to interview candidates for Chief Medical Officer and OR Director. Pat has phone interviewed several candidates for OR Director, and we have a CMO candidate visiting here next week. These are critical positions to our hospital, and we need to find the best fit to continue to drive our strategies and be part of our team. I will keep you updated as we move through this process.
We have received the results of our physician survey, and there are several key takeaways to note. In two areas of the survey, “hospital as a place to practice” and “quality of care”, the percent that rated us as “Excellent” is the highest it has been since 2009. We also have the highest percentage of physicians identifying themselves as “highly engaged” ever, placing us in the top 10% of hospitals. “Highly engaged” means they are emotionally and intellectually committed to accomplishing the work, mission and vision of the hospital. Ratings increased in 7 areas: “ER”, “Patient Safety”, “Administration”, “Radiology”, “hospitalists”, “quality of care”, and “place to practice”. We saw declines since the last survey in: “surgical services”, “EMR”, “pathology”, “nursing care” and “anesthesia”. In the areas of improvement, we had top quartile performance in “Radiology”, “Emergency Services” and “Administration”. As with the employee survey, we will review these results with our medical staff and get their input that will form an action plan to continue to improve our hospital. Overall, another big move forward for Northside and continuing the momentum for growth.
- “ I was recently a patient on the 3rd Floor at Coliseum Northside Hospital. My stress level was very high but Angie Eubanks made my stay wonderful.” Patient – C. A.
- “3rd Floor nurses were wonderful. Kim Hill is a great nurse and has such a warm caring personality that makes you feel welcome and cared for. Thank you Kim!” Patient – E.C.
- “Kim Jacobs in the Respiratory Department gives exceptional care to her patients.” Patient – L.B.
- “Sarah Gradwell is a great nurse and took exceptional care of me while at was at Coliseum Northside Hospital. Thanks so much for all you did!” Patient – L.B.
- “Respiratory Therapists, especially during the day, were wonderful. Also, Lakesia at night did a great job taking care of me during my stay at Coliseum Northside.” Patient – E.C.
- “Elaine is amazing! I was greeted with a huge smile! No waiting. She showed professionalism at a whole new level. What an asset to Coliseum Northside Hospital you have in Elaine Vaughn. She even thanked me for choosing this hospital. She is very deserving of a gold star!!!” Patient – L.H.
- “The entire staff from Emergency Room to the doctor, nurses and each department were great. Could not have asked for or received better care. My sincere thanks for your great team effort!” Patient – L.B.
- “Would like to give a gold star to Clara Parks in the Dietary Department. The food was well prepared, looked great and tasted good! Keep up the good work!” Patient – W. B.
- “I am writing to thank you for the amazing care our child received in your ED last week. Upon arrival, we were promptly greeted by the Registration Clerk, Ivory Bailey. She was our first contact with your ER and was very attentive and professional. She escorted us straight to the Triage Area where Dr. Shaw and Kristie (RN) came right in to assess our daughter. Kristie was compassionate, patient and reassuring as she started her IV We then went to Radiology where the personnel were prompt, friendly and very gentle with her. Also, we were blessed to meet Dexter, the Ortho Tech on call. He made quick friends with our daughter and kept her smiling even though the x-ray revealed her arm was broken. Dexter was so involved in her care and kept her smiling, he was simply the best! In closing, I was most impressed with the cleanliness of your ED – from walking into the ED area, Triage, the hallways and the patient room. I was very impressed! It is obvious that the employees at Coliseum Northside have accepted ownership of their jobs and the company they work for. Please know that for our family, as well as extended family members – CNH will now be our ONLY choice!” Patient – C. J. (Hawkinsville, GA)
- “Vivian Carey was a wonderful and caring night nurse during my stay at Coliseum Northside. Thanks Vivian for all you do!” Patient – L.B.