This week, the CMS released their star ratings of hospitals based on 64 different quality metrics. There were 102 hospitals that received the highest rating of 5 stars. Coliseum Northside Hospital received 4 stars, Coliseum Medical Centers received 3 stars, while Navicent received 2 stars. I am so proud of the team of caregivers and physicians on this staff and the attention to making sure we are providing the highest quality of care possible with evidenced based practices. In others words, doing the right thing for our patients every time. This score follows our A rating by the Leapfrog Group, another independent assessor of quality. You will read that some feel these ratings don’t accurately measure quality. Gone are the days that we solely decide what quality is or isn’t and we must adapt to a changing environment where more data is available and our patients are using that data to make decisions on where and how they receive care. Congratulations on this rating! These will be updated quarterly so we will have to continue to look for ways to improve care.
Yesterday we shared our beautiful campus with 800+ Maconites! I heard so many positive comments about their experiences at our hospital and the support of the community with events like the concert last night. I want to thank our Marketing team, Robin, Jennifer and Lindsey, for the promotion of the event which resulted in the largest turnout ever for one of these events. Security did a great job making people comfortable and safe for the evening and we can always count on the support of Danny, Alyson, Wayne, Becky, Michele and Sheri who are some of the first to arrive and the last to leave helping make sure things go smoothly. Special thanks to Pinky’s and the Radiology staff for having some cool treats for a hot evening with proceeds going to the heart walk! I could not have been more proud of how our hospital was represented. This was a unique opportunity to really connect with other community events, namely Bragg Jam and the Macon Film Festival. I hope to make this an annual event.
I met with Richard Jones, CEO of Macon-Bibb Transit Authority, to discuss adding CNH back as a stop on their bus route. Mr. Jones had the opportunity to visit our campus for the concert on the lawn where we spoke again. He has agreed to meet to discuss adding us back as a stop with his team as they amend routes for this fall. I think he understands the importance of patients having easy access to our hospital as well as our staff. Stay tuned for updates on this issue.
Sunday begins our town hall meetings for this quarter. As an added incentive besides an update on all our projects and plans will be a change to win a pair of fair tickets for attending. Louise Truitt will be providing an overview of our recent employee survey and we will answer your questions about anything else on your mind. First meeting is at 2pm in the first floor conference room on Sunday.
We held a job fair this week at the Marriott downtown and there were 23 job offers extended! I am expecting a big admissions winter and we will need every position filled to meet the demand. I look forward to welcoming these new team members once orientation is complete. Thanks to Chris, Louise, Monica, Priscilla and all the directors who dedicated the time to find the right people for our hospitals.
Tacos, Pops, and Café Ribbon-Cutting! Join us Friday, August 12 at 12:00pm for a ribbon cutting event for the new Cyber Café where the new name will be unveiled and you can check out all the great features offered: Comfortable furniture, easily accessible secure tablets and charging stations, and vending machines. FREE Tacos/drinks from Tex’s Tacos Food Truck AND King of Pops popsicles from 11AM-2PM for dayshift, 6-8PM for night shift.
- I was stopped by the son of one of our recurrent patients at last night’s concert to praise the care and compassion exhibited by Lisa Brown in radiology. – Steve Daugherty
- Randy Willis reported high praise from a patient in room 306 during his rounds for our EVS staff, specifically Jamie, for how exceptionally clean her room was kept. – Steve Daugherty
- “Jill, thank you for being so patient with my dad. I appreciate how good you are with him. Thank you for all your hard work.” Patient – A.M.
- I ate dinner with a friend the other night who had been helping to take care of a mutual friend who had surgery with Dr Holliday. Both the caretaker friend and the patient are retired RNs. She said CNH was the cleanest hospital she had been in and that the nursing care had been superb! Just wanted you to know! – Jane Montgomery, CMC Administrative assistant
- “Robert Hollingsworth consistently goes above and beyond. Though quiet, Robert always has a smile on his face while transporting our patients across the hospital. Yesterday was a particularly busy day in surgery and he volunteered to assist getting beds, pumps, poles and patient. Many thanks!” Employee – Amanda Brandon
- “To the ER Staff especially Ginger, Melanie and Dr. Rogers – thanks so much for the great compassionate care. Ms. Topaz on the floor also gave a great first impression and was at the end of her shift when I got to the second floor and made sure I was good and settled. Thanks so much to Bert and Amanda that gave me great care the first night I was in the hospital. Also, Erica was great at keeping my room so tidy and what a great smile. I was so lucky to have Topaz and Mary again the next day and they were absolutely excellent. And when I thought the care could not get any better, I met Ms. Trella. No one wants to be sick or in the hospital, but if you have to be, the care I received from entering the ER doors has been excellent. I just want to let the powers that be know how good the staff are and have been. Even when I called the desk, I always got great service and everybody that walked into my room have been so personable. Great professionals”! Patient – C. R.
- “Jafarni Williams registered me for lab tests on 5/27/16 and saved me from having to go home and get an address that I had forgotten. I was grateful and extremely impressed. She is smart and efficient. Also, today Janice registered me for a mammogram and was very efficient as well. Thanks so much!” Patient – M.R.
- A member of the Grapevine Band discussed with me the exceptional care his mother received during her recovery from a hip fracture. – Steve Daugherty
Hold your head high this week as a member of a 4-Star and A rated hospital for quality.