Benefits open enrollment began this week and runs through November 15th. If you are eligible and have not received your packet at home please contact Human Resources. Even if you aren’t changing plans, for non-smokers it is imperative that you go online and claim your nicotine free discount on the health insurance. There are some minor changes this year and the explanations and FAQ’s are in your packet.
The Leapfrog Group released its fall hospital ratings on October 31st. Once again CNH was one of 16 Georgia hospitals recognized with an A rating. Navicent was rated a C. Many hospitals dropped this fall due to changes to the scoring system. As we foreshadowed, patient experience is now being included in many quality rating systems including Leapfrog. The changes this year are as follows: SCIP core measures were removed. Five HCAHPS domains (Nurse Communication, Doctor Communication, Staff Responsiveness, Communication about Medication, and Discharge Information) and two HAI measures (MRSA and C-Diff) are now included in the calculation. Thanks for your focus on safety, quality and service! I hope you enjoyed the “leapfrog” sundaes as our thank you for the great work you do here every day.
We will be kicking off our United Way/Hope Fund fundraising over the next few weeks – Make Your Gift, Your Way! Donate online at www.easygive.com/hcahope Your gift of $2, $5, $10 or $20 per pay period will:
- Support your colleagues through the Hope Fund
- Support your community through your local United Way
To find out more or to request a paper donation form, contact Human Resources. More info to come soon!
After much planning, we kicked off pet therapy here at CNH this week. Patti Jones brought her dog Teresa to visit patients one evening earlier this week. The patients loved seeing her, and Teresa loves her humans! One patient remarked to Patti that he was having separation anxiety from his dog and Teresa really lifted his spirits. If you have someone you know with a registered therapy dog who would like to visit, please have them contact Patti. If you would like to get your pet registered as a therapy dog you can go to www.therapydogs.com to find out how.
Our newest surgical technology, Mazor Renaissance robot, was delivered this week. Dr. Dasher, Kelley and Brooks are all trained so we can begin using it for minimally invasive spine surgeries immediately. We will be getting an upgrade to Mazor X sometime in January. If you want to learn more please visit: http://www.mazorrobotics.com.
Dr. Patrick Nahr-Martey, our newest general surgeon, began his practice on November 1st with Dr. John Williams and Dr. Earl Mullis. He will go through credentials this month and should be scheduling elective cases here by the end of the month. Please welcome him to our hospital. Dr. Layth Saymeh, gastroenterologist, has joined our staff and will providing ER coverage for GI, eliminating some transfers out. Our next step is to begin recruiting a partner for his practice to complete GI coverage. Please welcome his as well to our medical staff.
On Wednesday, thanks to our excellent marketing team, Dr. Mickey Bansal, Medical Director of Pediatric ER for Coliseum Health System was featured on Headline News, a national cable channel based in Atlanta, to discuss AFM (acute Flaccid Myelitis). There have been 89 cases reported by the CDC, and this is a rare but serious and frightening disease which is not well understood as to the cause or how to prevent it. The leading candidate for the cause is Enterovirus 68 which is related to polio. So we urge those with small children to wash your hands and vaccinate your children as the best defense. Thanks to Dr. Bansal for representing our hospitals on the national stage!
- “Teonsha Moody was helpful and friendly. She did what I asked her to do but then also looked around while she was in the room to do things to make me feel better without even asking”. Patient – J.W.
- “The staff taking care of us during the recent stay at Coliseum Northside were all excellent. Shawn Holton and Rachel Lessard went above and beyond.” Patient – P. Y.
- “Corey Turner, Chris Kent & Jay Glisson – you rocked it today with our non-mobile evacuee patient! Thanks so much for a job well done!” Employee – Melanie Ladner
- “My nurses Kimberly Edwards and Sheila Brett are shining stars of the department on 3rd Floor. They always have time to answer millions of questions to help with any problem and they do it with love and care. I felt secure, optimistic and loved from everyone in this department. When I am ready for my second THR, I will come back to Coliseum Northside without hesitation. I am glad that I have found a local hospital with such a high level of care.” Patient – M. B.
- “Thanks so much to Terri Rideout for your motherly spirit. You took care of me and looked out for me as if I were your own daughter. Thanks so much and God bless”. Patient – T.D.
- “Bridgette Youngblood was my nurse recently at Coliseum Northside. She was prompt and helpful. She acted like she had plenty of time to take care of me and answer all of my questions so I felt much better about going home the next day. Thanks so much Bridgette!” Patient – J.W.
- On Monday, October 31st, at 14:25 Josh and Anna Beth Shepard welcomed Reagan Emory Shepard into the world. She was 6 lb 8 oz 20″ long.
Thanks for all your hard work in October! Looking forward to a great holiday season.