This is my first wrap-up addressing both CNH and CMC so bear with me as I work on getting these out timely. I have found these to be helpful in making sure everyone is aware of all the great things happening across our health system. We end 2016 with many accomplishments such as admission growth, medical staff growth, quality metrics improvement and improvement in our patient experience scores. All these are a result of your engagement and commitment to making Coliseum Health System better every day. Without a skilled, highly functioning team of caregivers we could not have met so many of our goals this year. Thank you from the entire executive team for choosing CMC and CNH as the place to share your time and talent caring for our patients. We hope to celebrate many more anniversaries with each of you!
We begin 2017 with some changes across the health system. I am serving as the interim CEO at CMC as well as continuing my responsibilities at CNH. We will have an interim CFO, Tim Lynch, who will join us on January 4th while we interview candidates for our new CFO. While these changes impact some of you more than others, our goal is to maintain the momentum of 2016 and build on it to meet our goals for 2017. The keys to our success will be improving our staff retention rates, providing an efficient environment for our physicians, continuing to improve on our quality metrics as reflected in Leapfrog and CMS Stars ratings, and providing a safe, welcoming environment for our patients ending with a signature patient experience.
Here are some key strategies for 2017:
- Welcoming our first GME class in July – 10 Internal Medicine residents and 4 Psychiatry residents
- Using the first Mazor X robot in Georgia for spine cases at CNH
- Opening the Assessment and Resource Center for Behavioral Health
- 18 bed expansion of Behavioral Health for Substance Abuse and the PTSD outpatient clinic
- Tele-intensivist program for the ICU at CNH
- Opening Level III Trauma at CMC in June 2017
- Emergency Department expansions for both hospitals
- Upgrades to our imaging capabilities (CT, Specials)
- Expanding our Neurosciences service line across both hospitals with fulltime neurology and neurosurgery coverage
- Expanding our cardiology and cardiovascular capabilities to include a valve clinic
- Physician recruitment to meet community needs and grow our service lines
- Improving our employee satisfaction survey scores through action plans with your feedback and engagement, employee rounding and celebrating our successes
- Continuing to develop our leaders through our Leadership Development Institute, Harvard Mentor Management and individual development plans
- Implementing a new nurse extern program and expanding our StaRN program
We need each and every one of you to execute on our goals for 2017! So if you are superstitious eat your black-eyed peas, greens, grapes, open your doors and windows at midnight to let all the bad from 2016 out, or kiss your special someone for good luck! I am excited about the future of our two hospitals and health system!
I would like to recognize Andrew Howarth, RN, in the CVICU for how he very effectively dealt with an issue related to obtaining informed consent. Andrew was able to assist with a telephone consent with the physician and family member thereby meeting everyone’s needs. – Bridget
I would also like to recognize the team this week for the Harvard Manage Mentor (Angela Lintz, Elaina Ramey, Danielle Rogers and Vic Spaventa) for their work on “Difficult Interactions.” Great team work and love that the reminder for the pre-work was sent to everyone. – Bridget
Tosha Smith was selected as the SATL Pharmacy Technician of the Month for December 2016. Congratulations! – Allen Almquist
Congratulations to Lindsey and Kam and Loie Mote with the birth of their son/brother Kenneth Allen Mote IV (aka Beau)!
“Today I felt horrible and then Kim Edwards came and put me into bed, covered me up, listened to me whine & treated me like family. I felt like she basically kissed my forehead and patted me all better.” Patient – B.R.
“Elaine Vaughn and Bridgette (RN), both demonstrated great patient care. They not only cared for me, but took care of my spouse as well. They went above and beyond their duties. Keep up the good work ladies – you are definitely what makes Coliseum Northside the best!” Patient – R. M.
“Patrick Howard (Dietary), Melissa (RN on 3rd), Nancy (RN on 3rd), Katie (RN on 3rd), Stephanie & Rasheedah (on 3rd Floor) – all went above and beyond to make sure I was taken care of and had a good experience at Coliseum Northside. Thanks for all you did for me during my stay”. Patient – T. M.
“Andre Jackson, you have a hard job and you take it with such ease. You said emptying bedpans was just a part of your job and didn’t mind at all. You did everything to take care of me with a smile on your face and a concerned heart. Thanks for taking care of me after my surgery, your smile is infectious and helped me a lot! God Bless!” Patient – T. D.
Thanks for making 2016 such a great year for Coliseum Health System!