This week, we had some of the highest volumes in our emergency rooms and high census at both hospitals. I was pleased to see the cooperation and collaboration between the hospitals as we made room for each patient while keeping the service level high. Our emergency room physicians, intensivists and hospitalists worked diligently to make sure we had everyone at the right care level whether that was discharging them home or moving them to other units in the hospital. It was really a pleasure to watch and listen to the great teamwork and patient care that you provided with grace and style. Thanks so much for everyone’s hard work this week.
Yesterday, I represented Coliseum Health System at the United Way of Middle Georgia’s annual awards ceremony, both as a 2016 campaign cabinet member and Board of Trustee member. Coliseum Health System was recognized as a Top 100 Giving Organization, listed at #33 of the top 100. The UW raised over 5 million dollars to support 33 partner organizations like the Boy Scouts, Big Brother and Big Sisters as well as key initiatives like Read United, Play United and Mission United. Please visit the UW website to learn more about these programs and how your charitable giving is impacting our community at https://www.unitedwaycg.org.
It’s Cherry Blossom Festival Time AND Spring Break! I know many of you will be taking some time away from work this next week to re-energize and spend time with your families. It looks like the weather is going to cooperate so that our community shines as we welcome many out of town visitors in our city. I hope to see you out and about during the festival enjoying all that Macon has to offer. I will be away at the end of the week to watch my son, Sean, compete in his first Ironman triathlon of 2017 in Oceanside, California. My family is always supportive of my time away from them while we work together to make CHS the best of the best healthcare systems and this short time away is how I show my support for them and their passions. I will return rested and ready to support you and our strategies for growth!
Last night, members of the executive team made rounds on night shift to pass out ice cream and introduce Elmer Polite, our new CFO, and to thank everyone for their hard work. We plan to do this more frequently so that we can better understand what goes well at night and where we might help improve items that are unique and important during the hours many of us are asleep. Thanks to those who had a few minutes to stop and speak with us and share a laugh or two while you cared for your patients.
- I wanted to bring it to your attention what a gem you have driving the bus in the evening at CMC. Mr. Frankie Williams is such a sweet gentleman. I normally don’t ride the van because I need the exercise, but when I see him sitting at the curb, it’s hard to resist riding with him. He has such a positive attitude, and speaking to him puts a smile on what has usually been a long, busy day. He is faithful to watch that we get to our cars and that we are safely inside before he pulls out of the Coliseum parking lot (the area outside of the fence). I appreciate his friendliness and attention to safety. -Janet Banks, CMC – Surgery Department /Special Projects
- We are so proud to announce that Isaiah Hamilton completed the course curriculum for Meridian Institute of Surgical Assisting. March 20th he took his certification exam and passed! Isaiah came to us as a new grad from Central Georgia Technical College as a Certified Scrub Technologist. We knew he had a special fire burning inside to not only do a good job but to excel!! All surgeons wanted him in their room, several made a major contribution to his achievement of this goal by taking their time to teach and mentor him. Isaiah had to complete 140 cases as well as a hands on lab in Nashville. The professor communicated with me at that time that Isaiah was destined for great things by the way he studied and conducted himself in the lab. We could not be more proud of Isaiah and the example he has set for others. – Debbie Deeb, Director of Perioperative Services
- “Ms. Lynn Newberry was very kind and gentle when she gave me my injections. I hardly felt them at all. She was very kind and personable. Thank you so much for your great job and for being awesome!” Patient – A.S.
- “I just wanted to let you know about the unbelievable service we have received from the moment we walked in the door at 6 am. Everyone here has been wonderful, without exception! Your employees have been courteous, polite and kind. Perfect 10’s across the board from nurses, PT, front desk & everyone else. Job well done!” Patient – anonymous
- “Nandan Hickdad is a PA that was genuinely concerned about my well-being. He gave me a thorough exam and asked me what helped me!” Patient – A.S.
- “Jessica, Bill & Christine on 3rd floor are all fantastic.” Patient – M. C.
- “100% of CNH employees with January Birthdays have completed their annual health assessments. I wanted to make sure they were recognized and that will hopefully encourage February and March employees to do the same.” Employee – Sherrie Rollins
- “Thanks so much to Joyce Smith for helping me on a busy morning! We had a nurse call in and I was the only one here and she came to the rescue and helped me put patients in the room. You are a live saver to me!” Employee – Debbie Middlebrooks
- Major Kudos to all the people who helped out and rode out this crazy weekend with all of us….Wayne worked, Josh worked, Charlotte worked, Michael worked, Jamie Taylor worked, Barb worked, I was in staffing in ED and 3rd floor, GI lab nurses worked, Andrew came in and helped when everyone in ED lost their accu-check access, Richard Penn came in and helped fix a Pyxis in ED. Donna stayed till almost midnight Saturday and turned around and came back Sunday at 7am. Also several nurses from all departments either stayed late or came in early to help cover. I’m sure I’m missing someone but just wanted to say THANK YOU for all the teamwork! Many people took on roles that they normally wouldn’t just to make sure our patients were cared for, and for that, I thank everyone!! – Michelle Mosley