This week as I was watching the news about the wildfires in California one interview had me reflect on our (my) commitment to our Mission statement:
Above all else, we are committed to the care and improvement of human life.
The reporter was outside a California hospital that was evacuating patients because of the fire. He was interviewing a nurse who had purchased a house just three weeks ago that was within sight of the hospital. She and her co-workers saw the house burning to the ground as she was evacuating a patient. The reporter asked her what she was thinking as she witnessed her house on fire. Her response: “I was focused on caring for my patient and making sure he was safe. I didn’t really have time to think about my house.” Wow. Do we have that kind of focus with just the normal distractions? Are we really committed to focusing on our patients? Only we as individuals can answer for ourselves, but it certainly gave me pause about my commitment and reflecting on my priorities when here at work.
It’s almost benefits enrollment time gain. Please be sure you know your HCARewards password and that your address is correct. The Annual Enrollment dates are October 31 – November 14, 2017
The Benefits Fair will be held on:
- November 1 at CMC, Cafeteria from 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- November 2 at CNH, 1st Floor Conference Room from 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
I have completed 2 of the 6 “Ask Steve” feedback sessions at CMC and received some very good questions and feedback on some things we can improve. These are drop-in sessions and I hope you will find a few minutes to come down to the First Floor Classroom to offer suggestions on how we can continue to improve our hospital for staff and patients. The next four are as follows: 10/13 at 11:30am, 10/18 at 11:30am, 10/20 at 7:00am and 10/30 at 5:pm. Once these are complete, I will also post the questions and responses on the We Are CHS blog. Thanks for helping shape the future of our hospital.
CHS Mercer Tailgate! (brought to you by EAG!)
Enjoy FREE general admission tickets to this SATURDAY’S, OCTOBER 14 GAME vs. CHATTANOOGA at 3:30PM and join us beforehand from 1:30PM until kick-off for a Tailgate near the volleyball courts with GREAT food, games, and giveaways hosted by EAG!
To claim your tickets:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell them you are with Coliseum Health System, the number of tickets needed, and make sure to tell them it’s for the October 14 game!
- Once your ticket request is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email (Please allow a 48 hour response time).
- Tickets will be available on Game Day at the Will Call ticket booths (WILL CALL OPENS AT 12:30). Your tickets will be under the group name: Coliseum Health.
The ticket cost is free and parking is $10 per vehicle (cash only). General admission seating is available on a first come, first serve basis. General admission tickets provide access to general admission (LIMITED seating in stands) and berm (grass) seating.
On October the 18th at both hospital campuses, we will be celebrating with ice cream sundaes the United Way goal that we not only made but EXCEEDED – we raised over $70,000 that will go to support 34 partner agencies. Thanks to all of you who helped extend our mission out into the greater middle Georgia community.
As we begin the ED expansion, there will need to be some changes with staff parking. Those changes will include everyone, including myself, and the rest of the executive team. In order to have adequate parking for patients and visitors, we will be asking everyone to park in the Centreplex parking lot and either use the shuttle (or the healthy option: walking!) to enter the hospital. I appreciate everyone’s cooperation in advance and look forward to some early morning discussions on the shuttle to the hospital. More information will be coming once we finalize plans, start dates and more shuttle time information. For those working between 7pm and 7am you will still park in the closer lots but there may be some lots (ED) that are restricted to patients and visitors.
- I want to recognize one of my employees, Sally Dumas, CTRS, who works in Activities Therapy in Behavioral Health and has done so for the past 31 years! She took it upon herself to begin a clothing closet for patients in Behavioral Health who did not have clothes to wear. We often have patients who are homeless or have hit bottom in their lives, and have no resources to purchase clothing items. Sally reached out to her contacts and peers here at Coliseum in Behavioral Health and has lead an effort to compile quite an array of clothing through donations. She was able to utilize a small closet in our Activity Therapy Department, to serve as storage, and allows patients to “shop” for items they need. Sally has a heart for those in need and has served Coliseum tirelessly for many devoted years. Kudos to her selfless efforts! – Don Tillman, Director of Social Services, Coliseum Center for Behavioral Health.
- I would like to recognize Nicole Dickson with release of information in the HIM Department. It was a pretty busy day with the main line for the department having all 3 lines ringing which can be attorneys calling to check on requests, doctor’s offices needing records sent or internal departments needing information and in addition 3 walk ins to the department needing records simultaneously. Nicole was glowingly complimented by a patient and the family member stating how professional Nicole was and how she was able to multi-task without losing my ability to be courteous and kind. She commented that the department was very busy but she was treated with the same patience as if they were the only people we were caring for. Thanks, Nicole! – Janelle Holleman, Director Health Information Management
- Congratulations to Sarah Anthony, Medical Technologist on her marriage to Tim Krickovich on October 8, 2017! – Redonna Bunch, Director of Clinical Laboratory Services.
- “I can’t name just one. Through my whole stay the admissions department, nurses, housekeeping and all the techs were great. Everybody was wonderful!” Patient – J. D.
- “Thank you so much Tammy Reeves for being so caring to my mother after her surgery. You were so pleasant and made us feel that you had plenty of time for us. Thanks so much for being so exceptional!” Patient – S. G.
- “Rhonda Millikin was wonderful. She delivered great customer service and was very informative.” Patient – J. S.
- “To all departments: We are thankful to almighty God for everyone’s excellent care and treatment given to my mother on the 3rd floor. Your genuine interest and concern demonstrated professionalism with a personal touch. God bless all of you at Coliseum Northside Hospital.” Patient – A. D.